May Reading Ladder

Ratings:

• One star- I didn’t enjoy this novel whatsoever.
  • Two stars- This novel was underwhelming.
  • Three stars- This novel was alright but I probably wouldn’t read it again.
  • Four stars- This novel was quite enjoyable and I would definitely recommend it.
  • Five stars- This novel was absolutely phenomenal and I want to get it signed by the author.

The City of Glass, by Cassandra Clare

This novel is about a 15 year old girl named Clarrisa Fray, or Clary for short. City of Glass is the third book in its series of six called the Mortal Instruments. Previously in this series, Clary falls in love with a boy named Jace, only to find out that he is her long lost brother. During this novel, Clary discovers her hidden past and becomes a true shadowhunter. She goes on a mission to wake her mother from a state of deep sleep with her friends Simon, Isabel, Alec, and Jace. Together they fight a series of demons and downworlders, constantly risking their lives. Later on, Clary uncovered the truth about who Jace really is, only to find out that he took it upon himself to stop their common enemy, Valentine. Clary has mere hours to locate and save Jace to tell him the truth about his identity.

I gave City of Glass four and a half stars because it was an incredible read. My only issue is that it seemed to have too many twists and turns to the point that it was almost too hard to follow. Other than that, the story is phenomenal and I would 100% recommend this to all of my fellow fantasy romance lovers. In my March reading ladder, I stated that I believed the author’s writing had tons of room for improvement, but I can confidently say that the writing is insanely captivating now. That is why I rated it four and a half stars and why I am recommending it to all of my friends.

The City of Fallen Angels, by Cassandra Clare

This novel is about a 15 year old girl named Clarissa Fray, or Clary for short. Previously in this series, Clary falls in love with a boy named Jace, only to find out that he is her long lost brother. She then discover that her brother is in fact part demon and Jace is not related to her. They then recieve the freedom to move forward with their relationship and begin truely dating. This novel is about Clary training to become an official shadowhunter, Simon on the other hand, is struggling to balance both his relationship with Isabel, and his relationship with Maia, while also preventing his mom from finding out the truth about his newfound identity. I havn’t read much of this novel so far, I am only about 20% through, so I don’t know much about the plot line as of right now.

I rated City of Fallen Angels a four and a half because, so far, it is simply a continuation of the previous novel, City of Glass, which I also rated four and a half. However, I am still enjoying the series very much and would definitely recommend it to many.

• Total pages read: 548
  • Total days: 36
  • Total pages per day: 15

I ended up coming nowhere even remotely near my goal of 35 pages per day. I am a little disapointed because I failed to reach this goal last month too. However, the school year is almost over and test are piling up, so it’s understandable that I haven’t had a ton of extra reading time. Since we don’t have a full month in June left to record our reading, I’m going to slightly lower my goal and revert back to aiming for 30 pages per day moving forward.